March 1-31, 2013 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Uploads to our site and links to online material)
• Website: Statistics for March 2013: 5,395 visitors (7339 last month) from 120 countries made 7,219 visits (9,298 last month) to our website. The following is a record of items that were either linked to or directly uploaded during this period.
• For additional news see: our New Resources page, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See May-June activities of the SRI-Rice Center staff, students and advisors
• (Previous months website additions: January and February).
- VCD to help farmers raise rice production
March 25, 2012, The Telegraph (Assam, India)
- Agriculture revolution takes shape silently [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
March 22, 2013, Times of India (Bihar, India)
- Ryots give tips to one another [Drum seeder saves labor in AP]
March 17, 2012, The Hindu (Andhra Pradesh, India)
- Bihar can beat Punjab in wheat production [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
March 10 2013, Punjab Newsline (Punjab, India)
- SSI doubles sugarcane output
March 8, 2012, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Record-breaking rice yield prompts professor to promote cultivation technique
March 6, 2013, Cornell Daily Sun (Ithaca, New York)
- 2013. Reaping success in war-torn Mali. Periodicals 3(1): 4 [SRI project in Mali progresses despite war]
- Esipisu, Isaiah. 2013. Water-sparing rice farming proves viable in Kenya. AlertNet website. March 25.
- ar/ks/rz. 2013. Madagascar's Millennium Village goes it alone. IRIN website. March 22. [73% of farmers now use SRI which was introduced through Millennium Village project. Rabodozafy's family now grow enough rice with SRI to eat for 11 months/year as opposed to 3 before.]
- Brink, Hellin. 2013. Smallholder farmers dramatically improve crop yields without expensive seeds and fertilizers. Food First website. March 20. [Overview of SRI with link to the Farming Matters March issue on SRI.]
- Stoop, Willem A. 2013(?). Agronomic adaptations in SRI practices to meet farmers' conditions and needs. AgriCultures Network website. [acquired 3/20/13]
- Sengupta, Uttam. 2013. The whole truth on a grain of rice. OutlookIndia.com. March 11. [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
- 2013. Bumper crops in India, no GE required. Ground Truth blog. March 7. [More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
- Diwakar, M. C., Arvind Kumar, Anil Verma, and Norman Uphoff. 2013. A response to doubts raised by Prof. Yuan on Indian farmer's record paddy yield through SRI method in Bihar. India Water Portal. March 4. [See also comments section for additional points. More on the controversial Bihar rice record.]
- Specht, Jonathan. 2013. Food hero series: Dr. Norman Uphoff, agricultural development leader. Food tank website. March 2.
- Kassam, A. and H. Brammer. 2013. Reply to Sumberg et al. The Geographical Journal (Early view- Wiley Online Library, 12 March 2013). doi:10.1111/geoj.12010 [acquired 3/27/13]
- Kassam, A. and H. Brammer. 2013. Combining sustainable agricultural production with economic and environmental benefits Article first published online: doi:10.1111/j.1475-4959.2012.00465.x
- [acquired 3/27/13] Arassan, Anbu, V. Karthick, B. Swaminathan, T. Arivelarasan. 2013. System of Rice Intensification (SRI) and its implications over food security and farmer sovereignty. Social Science Research Network website. [Research carreid out by the Department of Agricultural Economics, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University]
- [acquired 3/16/13] Dahal, Khem R., and Ram B. Khadka. 2012. Performance of rice with varied age of seedlings and planting geometry under System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in farmer's field in western Terai, Nepal. Nepal Journal of Science and Technology 13(2): 1-6. doi:10.3126/njst.v13i2.7706
- Gopalakrishnan, Subramaniam, R. Mahender Kumar, et al. 2013. Assessment of different methods of rice (Oryza sativa. L.) cultivation affecting growth parameters, soil chemical, biological, and microbiological properties, water saving, and grain yield in rice-rice system. Paddy and Water Environment (Springer Link, March) doi:10.1007/s10333-013-0362-6 [acquired 3/12/15]
- [acquired 3/12/13] Hazra, K. K., and Subhash Chandra. 2013. Mild to prolonged stress increased rice tillering and source-to-sink nutrient translocation under SRI management. Paddy and Water Environment (Springer Link, March 2013). doi:10.1007/s10333-013-0361-7 (short communication)
- [acquired 3/12/13] Kumar, H. B. Halesh, V. K. Deshpande, B. S. Vyakaranahal, N. G. Hanamarahatti. 2013. Screening of selected promising rice hybrids under modified system of rice intensification (SRI) method in upland eco system. BIOINFOLET 10(1A): 45-49. [acquired 3/12/13]
- [acquired 3/12/13] Dastan, S., Gh. Noormohamadi, H. Madani, H. R. Mobasser, and M. S. Daliri. 2013. Evaluation of related to lodging characteristics and grain yield in Iranian rice genotypes under modified agronomical systems. Annals of Biological Research 4(2): 267-275.
- [acquired 3/12/13] Dass, Anchal, and Chandra Subash. 2012. Effect of different components of SRI on yield, quality, nutrient accumulation and economics of rice (Oryza sativa) in tarai belt of northern India. Indian Journal of Agronomy 57(3): 250-254. [acquired 3/12/13]
- 2013. SRI: A scaling up success. LEISA India 15(1). [The March issue of LEISA India is about SRI, primarily in India. There are 10 SRI-related articles included.]
- AgriCultures Network. 2013. SRI - more much than more rice. Farming Matters 29(1). [The March edition is devoted to SRI.]
- Barah, B. C. 2012. Report: Why do farmers adopt or dis-adopt? SRI - A short report from the field. NewsReach 12(11): 14-27. [PRADAN's livelihood and development bimonthly magazine.]
- Mukherjee, Kuntal. 2012. Toolkit: Promotion of SRI-Millet with small and marginal farmers in Chhattisgarh: A practitioner's manual. NewsReach 12(11): 28-35. [PRADAN's livelihood and development bimonthly magazine]
- 2013. Case study 4: Upscaling techniques to deliver higher yields and climate benefits in Vietnam. In Achieving food security in the face of climate change. CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) website.
- No documents uploaded during March 2013.
- Video: 2013. (March 5). Rice farming in India: 'Now I produce enough food for my family'. 2:34 min. Directed by Tom Pietrasik, theguardian. [Amar Singh Patel, a small-scale farmer in Chhattisgarh, India, explains the impact of using the System of Rice Intensification on his crops.]
- Video: 2013 (February 15). Highly efficient broadcasting of rice seedlings. 0.20 min. chedudee channel, YouTube. [This video is taken in BREAD (Biodynamic-based Rice Eco-intensification and Agni-ecotourism Diversified ) Learning Farm School of Balingasag, Misamis Oriental, Philippines.] [accessed 3/20/13]
- Video: 2013. (February 22). Modified Organic System of Rice Intensification (MOSRI). 0:34 min. AND the view three weeks later. chedudee channel, YouTube. [Manual transplanting technique without bending the body. Uses 8-12 day old rice seedlings grown in the organic fertilizer-filled micro pots of plastic tray. SAFEGCC (Sustainable Agriculture and Family/-centered Group of Co-Creators), Inc. in Balingasag, Misamis Oriental, Philippines in cooperation with Christian Rural Development Institute (CRDI), South Korea.] [accessed 3/20/13]
- no PowerPoint presentations uploaded during March.
- Nepal - update: Eight-day-old Seedlings Planted at 25x25 cm2 Spacing Give Best Results in Far Western Nepal Experiments
- Peru - update: Article in Agriculture Matters Magazine Documents SRI Success in Peru
- SSI - SSI doubles sugarcane output
- Philippines: Two videos added on MOSRI and broadcasting by parachute planting
- Madagascar: SRI Among Successes in Madagascar's Millennium Village Project
- Mali: Collaborative Project a Success in Despite the War in Mali
- India pages: not yet online
- Other pages updated: new resources, home page, SRI-Rice News