PhD Dissertations and Master's Theses
- Adrianto, Joko. 2016. Analisis adopsi SRI (System of Rice Intensification) dan dampaknya terhadap efisiensi usahatani padi di Kabupaten Solok Selatan (Analysis of adoption SRI System of Rice Intensification) and its impact on rice farming efficiency in South Solok District). Master's thesis, Bogor Agricultural University (IPB) (Indonesia). (87p., 1.31MB pdf)
- Bell, Patrick Ryan. 2016. Sustainable Intensification for food security and climate change adaptation in Tanzania. PhD dissertation, The Ohio State University. (222p., 3.3MB pdf)
- Gicheru, Mercy Njeri. 2016. Barriers and enablers to the uptake and implementation of System of Rice Intensification; A case study of Mwea Irrigation Scheme in Kenya. Master's thesis. University of Capetown, South Africa. (79p. pdf)
- Hassouni, Laith Naeem. 2016. Effects of irrigation scheduling and the application of organic matter on rice yield under the System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Master's thesis, Baghdad University (Iraq). (153 p., 4.86MB pdf)
- Khan, Azad Hussain. 2016. Studies on effect of system of rice intensification on the yield of CMS and restorer lines under the organic and inorganic management. PhD dissertation, G.B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology (Pantnagar, Uttarakhand, India) (205p., 8.44MB pdf)
- Mark, Ariel. 2016. Ex-post analysis of the innovation diffusion process of the “System of Rice Intensification": Case study, the Volta Region of Ghana. Master's thesis, University for Sustainable Development Eberswalde (Germany). (94p., 9,03MB pdf)
- Mitchell, Anne-Marie. 2016. Examination of improved weeding technologies with smallholder rice farmers in southern Benin, West Africa. Master of Professional Studies paper, Cornell Univeristy. (45p., 1.15MB pdf).
- Narayan, S. S. 2016. Effect of age of seedlings on aromatic rice (Oryza sativa L.) varieties under system of rice intensification. M. Sc. (Ag.) thesis, Banares Hindu University, Varanasi (India). (128 p. 10.7 MB pdf)
- Ndirangu, Bancy Wambui. 2015. Influence of rice intensification system on rice production among small scale farmers. Case of Tebere in Mwea, Kirinyaga county in Kenya. Master's thesis, University of Nairobi (Kenya).
- Pasaribu, Pinta Omas. 2016. Sifat fisiologi dan agronomi padi ratun dengan sistem salibu pada budidaya System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Master's thesis,. Institut Pertanian Bogor (Indonesia). (31p.,12.86MB pdf)
- Sharp, Gawain. 2016. Sustainable development: A model Indonesian SRI co-operative. Master's thesis. Massey University (New Zealand). (63p., 1.89MB pdf)
- Uprety, Rajendra. 2016. Agricultural intensification in Nepal, with particular reference to systems of rice intensification. PhD dissertation, Wageningen University (The Netherlands). doi:10.18174/392853 (204p. pdf)
- Baruah, Amvrin. 2015. A comparative study of System of Rice Intensification (SRI) and conventional method of rice cultivation in Assam. PhD dissertation, Banaras Hindu University (India) (113p., 4.34 MB pdf)
- Batara, Lily Noviani. 2015. Kualitas mikroorganisme lokal (Mol) yang digunakan pada penanaman padi (Oryza sativa L.) dengan metode System of Rice Intensification (SRI) organik (Quality of indigenous microbes (IMO) in rice (Oryza sativa L.) cultivation of organic System of Rice Intensification method). Master's thesis. Bogor Agricultural University (Indonesia). (60p, 16.74MB pdf)
- Loukes, Keira. 2015. The System of Rice Intensification (SRI): Complicating the global narrative. Master's thesis. Queen's University (Canada). (138p., 15.18MB pdf) [An exploratory, qualitative study based on fieldwork in Nepal’s Tera.]
- Mwatete, Gibson Kalume Kitsao. Technical efficiency differentials between conventional and System of Rice Intensification methods of rice production in West Kano Irrigation Scheme, Kenya. PhD dissertation, University of Eldoret (Kenya).
- Sen, Debashish. 2015. How smallholder farmers in Uttarakhand reworked the System of Rice Intensification: Innovations from sociotechnical interactions in fields and villages. PhD dissertation, Wageningen University and Research Center (WUR), School of Social Sciences. (188p. pdf)
- Rana, Sadhana. 2015. Transforming livelihood through innovative agricultural reform: An insight into the adoption of system of rice intensification (SRI) in Nepal. Master thesis, Norwegian University of Life Sciences. (82 p. pdf)
- Rufako, Ulya. 2015. Produktivitas lahan dan air pada padi sawah dengan berbagai sistem irigasi (Land and water productivities of paddy fields under various irrigation regimes). Master's thesis. Bogor Agricultural University (IPB) Indonesia. (29p., 8.38MB pdf)
- Sutton, Claire. 2015. Impact of management on soil fertility and rice yields in smallholder farms in Tanzania. Master's thesis, The Ohio State University. (107 p. pdf) [Considers both SRI and Conservation Agriculture in the context of sustainable land management in Tanzania.]
- Chadhar, Asim Raza. 2014. Weed management studies in System of Rice Intensification (SRI). PhD dissertation, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, (Pakistan).
- Di Florio, Mario. 2014. The mechanical weeders used in rice cultivation practices in Tripura, India, and their relation with the system of rice intensification (SRI). Master's thesis, Wageningen University (The Netherlands). (65p., 5.08MB pdf)
- Malla, Roshani. 2014. Agricultural technologies for marginal farming systems in Asia: Adoption and diffusion of SALT in the Philippines and SRI in India. Master's thesis, Iowa State University. (107p. pdf)
- Perricone-Dazzo, Lorraine. 2014. Farmer centered research on improved rice cropping systems in the Peanut Basin of Senegal: Peace Corps System of Rice Intensification extension campaign. Master of Professional Studies project paper, Cornell University. (128p., 2.26MB pdf)
- Ochienno, Judith Taaka. 2014. Influence of communication on adoption of agricultural innovation: A case of the System of Rice Intensification in Mwea irrigation scheme. Master’s Thesis, University of Nairobi (Kenya). (67p. 394 KB pdf)
- Gbenou, Pascal. 2013. Evaluation participative du Système de Riziculture Intensive dans la basse vallée de l’Ouémé au Bénin. PhD dissertation, Université d’Abomey-Calavi (Benin). (213p., 4.01MB pdf)
- Puspitawati, M. D. 2013. Study of phosphate solubilizing microbe to reduce the rate of inorganic-P fertilizer on ICM (Integrated Crop Management) and SRI (System of Rice Intensification) cultivation system. Master's thesis, Bogor Agricultural University (Indonesia) (IPB Scientific Repository).
- Arayaphong, Supisra. 2012. Cost - benefit analysis of different rice cropping systems in Thailand. Master's thesis, Uppsala University, Sweden. (60p., 2MB pdf). [The study finds that compared to conventional methods, SRI reduces production inputs (water, seed, agrochemicals), increases yield gain, and reduces environmental degradation (through pesticide and CH4 reduction). However, risk is higher.]
- Elhefnawy, Tamer Mostafa Abd El-Fatah Ali. 2012. The effect of System of Rice Intensification (SRI) on productivity of rice. Master's thesis, Mansoura University (Egypt). (122p. 1.42MB pdf)
- Kombe, E. 2012. The system of rice intensification (SRI) as a strategy for adapting to the effects of climate change and variability: A case study of Mkindo Irrigation Scheme in Morogoro, Tanzania. MSc. thesis, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro (Tanzania). (not online)
- Noltze, Martin. 2012. Adoption and impacts of system technologies in smallholder agriculture - the System of Rice Intensification in Timor Leste. PhD dissertation, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen (Germany). (147p, 2MB pdf)
- Acosta Buitrago, Jorge Orlando. 2011. Evaluación del Sistema Intensivo del Cultivo Arrocero (SICA) en el Municipio de Purificación Tolima. Thesis (ingeniero agronomo), Universidad de Cundinamarca. (128p., 5.83MB pdf)
- Dhital, Krishna. 2011. Study on System of Rice Intensification in transplanted and direct-seeded versions compared with standard farmer practice in Chitwan, Nepal. Master's thesis, Tribhuvan University (Rampur, Nepal). (152p., 922KB pdf) [see also abstract]
- Hofman, N. B. 2011. Cultivating under contract: An actor-network perspective on the socio-technical shaping of farmers' practices in north India. Master's thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven (The Netherlands). (94p.)
- Krupnik, Timothy J. 2011. Integrated agronomic and socioeconomic assessment of a water-saving rice crop management system in the Sahel. Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Santa Cruz (USA). (230p.)
- Martí, Orlando. 2011. Evaluación de las modificaciones a la tecnología del Sistema Intensivo del Cultivo del Arroz (SICA) para la producción popular en el municipio Melena del Sur, Provincia Mayabeque. Universidad Agraria de la Habana (Cuba). (34p., 417KB pdf) [see English language summary]
- Randrianariso, Lara Basilisse. 2011. Contribution a l'etude economique de la fertilisation du sol sur culture de riz en SRI: Cas de l'utilisation du compost tananamadio et du taroka dans la commune rurale de behenjy. Mémoire de fin d'études en vue d'obtenir le diplôme d'Ingénieur Agronome, Université Antananarivo (Madagascar). (66p.)
- Turmel, Marie-Soleil. 2012. Soil properties and the response of rice production to water regime and fertilizer source in low fertility soils of the Republic of Panama. Ph.D. dissertation, McGill University (Canada).
- Karki, Sudeep. 2010. System of Rice Intensification: An analysis of adoption and potential environmental benefits. Master's thesis, Norwegian University of Life Sciences. (80p., 8.65MB)
- Latif, MD. Abdul. 2010. A Study on effectiveness of field water tube as a practical indicator to irrigate SRI rice field in alternate wetting and drying irrigation management practice. Master's thesis, University of Tokyo (Japan). (139 p.)
- Satish, H. S. 2010. Farmers' perceptions, preferences and utilization of SRI and traditional paddy straw for livestock. Master's thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad (Karnataka, India). (74p., 620 KB pdf)
- Thura, Soe. 2010. Evaluation of weed management practices in the System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Master's thesis, Yezin Agricultural University, (Myanmar). (89p., 770KB)
- Dumas-Johansen, Marc Krisof. 2009. Effect of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) on livelihood strategies for Cambodian farmers and possible carbon storage and mitigation possibilities for greenhouse gas emissions. Master's thesis, University of Copenhagen (Denmark). (4.06 MB)
- Karki, Keshav Bahadur. 2009. Productivity and economic viability of rice under different planting pattern and age of seedlings through System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Master's thesis, Tribhuvan University (Nepal). (107p., 446KB pdf)
- Pandey, Sharad. 2009. Effect of weed control methods on rice cultivars under the System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Master's thesis, Tribhuvan University (Nepal). (876 KB pdf)
- Feuer, Hart Nadav. 2008. Sustainable agricultural techniques and performance oriented empowerment, an actor-network theory approach to CEDAC agricultural and empowerment programmes in Cambodia. Master of Philosophy thesis, University of Oxford (England). (116p., 1.0 MB pdf)
- Meas, Vannak. 2008. Evaluation studies on applicability and strategies for improvement of SRI (the Systems of Rice Intensification) with direct seeding Chinese milk vetch residue-mulched no-till paddy rice (Oryza sativa L) in Southern Korea. MSc. thesis. Gyeongsang National University (South Korea).
- Uyloan, John Terrence M. 2008. Agronomic, morphological, and physiological differences of lowland rice grown under System of Rice Intensification (SRI) and conventional production system using three methods of fertilization. Master's thesis, University of the Philippines at Los Baños. [accessible from the International Rice Research Institute Library - SB218 .U59 2008]
- Rajbhandari, Rajeev. 2007. System of Rice Intensification under different plant population and levels of nitrogen. Master's thesis, Tribhuvan University (Rampur, Nepal). (125p, 527KB pdf)
- Ahmed, Q.N. 2006. Influence of different cultivation methods on growth and yield of hybrid and inbred rice. Master's thesis, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka (Bangladesh). 165 p. (pdf)
- Haden, V. Ryan. 2012. Weed control, competitive cultivars, and the system of rice intensification. M.Sc. thesis, Cornell University. (156p.)
- Kabir, Humayun. 2006. Adaptation and adoption of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Myanmar using the Farmer Field School (FFS) approach. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Honolulu. (124 p, 2.47MB pdf)
- Sooksa-Nguan, Thanwalee. 2006. Comparison of bacterial activities and diversity in soil between conventional and the novel rice cultivation: SRI. Ph.D. dissertation, Suranaree University of Technology (Thailand). (126p., 1.75MB pdf, Thai language)
- Suresh K G, Janaki Rama. 2006. A comparative study of nutrient management in paddy under SRI and traditional methods of cultivation. MSc. thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad (India). (86p. pdf)
- van der Maden, Edwin. 2006. Beyond technological solutions: Farmers, water and the introduction of the System of Rice Intensification in the Tambiraparani river basin, Tamil Nadu, India. MSc. thesis, Wageningen University (The Netherlands). (114p., 3.24MB pdf)
- Wijebandara, D. I . Iranie. 2007. Studies on distribution and transformation of soil zinc and response of rice to nutrients in traditional and system of rice intensification (Sri) methods of cultivation. PhD thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad (India). (235p pdf)
- Ceesay, Mustapha M. 2004. Management of rice production systems to increase productivity in The Gambia, West Africa. Ph.D. Dissertation, Cornell University (178 p., 744KB pdf)
- Menete, Maria Zelia Lopes. 2005. Performance of the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) on salt-affected soils in southern Mozambique. Ph.D. dissertation, Cornell University.
- Barison, Joeli. 2003. Nutrient-use efficiency and
nutrient uptake in conventional and intensive (SRI) rice cultivation systems in
Madagascar. Master's thesis, Cornell University.
(This thesis was based on both on-station experimental trials at Beforona research station in Madagascar and on-farm studies of rice plants and practices associated with SRI and conventional rice cultivation. The latter sample was based on interviews with 109 farmers and measurements taken on their 109 farms sampled in four different parts of Madagascar during 2001-2002.)
- McHugh, Oloro V. 2002. Growing more rice with less water: Adaptive water management schemes utilized in the System of Rice Intensification (SRI). Master's thesis, Cornell University. (102p., 567KB pdf)
- Andriankaja, Andry. 2001. Evidence on the opportunities for development of rice production with the adoption of the System of Rice Intensification, and evaluation of biological nitrogen fixation (in French). Memoire de Fin d'Etudes (thesis), University of Antananarivo, Madagascar. [English language summary]
- Moser thesis. 2001. (not yet on-line)
- Rajaonarison, Jean de Dieu. 2000. Contribution a l'amelioration des redements de 2ème saison de la double riziculture par SRI sous experimentations multifactorielles. Memoire de Fin d'Etudes (thesis), University of Antananarivo, Madagascar. (French)
- Bonlieu, Frederic. 1999. Summary of findings from thesis research on SRI in Madagascar. University of Angers (France).
- Joelibarison. 1998. Ecole superieure des sciences agronomiques departement agriculture perspective des developpement de la region de Ranomafana: Les mecanismes physiologiques du riz sur sols de bas-fonds, cas du Systeme de Riziculture Intensive. Memoire de Fin d'Etudes (thesis), Universite D'Antananarivo (Madagascar). (French) (103p., 403KB pdf)
Other Sources of Research information:
- Articles listed on the SRI website (journals only)
- Interactive bibliographic database [all-country RefWorks database]
- Chinese research articles (chronological bibliography) [see also Chinese RefWorks database]
- Indian journal articles (forthcoming)
- Research in specific countries (see articles or research/evaluation sections of specific country pages)
- Conference proceedings (check the conferences page for research presentations and posters)
- Other - The general publications section of the website contains project reports and articles that occasionally include research results