May/June 2013 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Uploads to our site and links to online material)
• SRI-Rice statistics for June 2013: 4,417 unique visitors from 103 countries made 13,694 visits in the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 2,047.
• SRI-Rice statistics for May 2013: 5,207 unique visitors from 107 countries made 16,743 visits in the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 1,974.
• For additional news see: our New Resources page, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See May-June activities of the SRI-Rice Center staff, students and advisors
News from other 2013 months
- Initiating into farming [Approximately 100 students are being trained in SRI in Saligao, Goa.]
June 30, 2013, Navhind Times (Goa, India)
- Hebat, petani bahas pemanasan global
June 26, 2013, Padang Eskpres (Sumatera Barat, Indonesia)
Rice and food security: Bhola Man Singh Basnet [Growing more with less discussed as Nepal's National Rice Day approaches]
June, 25, 2013, Gorkapatra Online (Nepal)
- Farmers slowly adopting SRI method for cultivation of paddy [Over 500 farmers across Goa have adopted SRI since with overall 30-35% yield increase.]
June 17, 2013, Navhind Times (Goa, India)
- Demonstration on vermi-compost held
June 16, 2013, Nagaland Post (Nagaland, India)
- Haiti - agriculture: System of Rice Intensification in the north
June 15, 2013, Haiti Libre (Haiti)
- Training on NSFM launched
June 10, 2013, Morung Express (Nagaland, India)
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University launched Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative
June 10, 2013, Jagran Josh (Tamil Nadu, India) [See similar June 8 article in The Economic Times.]
- Crop intensification system fetches better yield, says former UAS V-C
June 10, 2013, The New India Express (Karnataka, India)
- Productivity of 50,000 acres of sugarcane fields to be improved: official
June 9, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- It's time for 'second crop' revolution
June 9, 2013, Time of India (Maharashtra, India)
- TNAU unveils sustainable sugarcane initiative news
June 8, 2013, domain-b (Tamil Nadu, India)
- TN agri varsity launches sustainable sugarcane initiative
June 8, 2013, Business Line (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Rice planting system promises better yield [Article from a press conference at Central Bicol State Univ. of Agriculture in the Philippines]
June 7, 2013, Bicol Mail (Camarines Sur, Philippines) [see also June 9 article in Inquirer News]
- Filipino rice farmers urged to follow India
May 24, 2013, Philippine Daily Inquirer (Manila, Philippines)
- India returns to world rice market with a bang [Annual minimum support price for growers, sustained procurement by govt agencies, hybrid rice promotion and SRI have combined to spur production.]
May 9, 2013, Business Line
- Haryana plan for 2013-14 finalized [Haryana State Plan recommends SRI -para. 4]
May 6, 2013, India Press Bureau
- Big dreams for small farmers
- Systematic crop intensification rewrites agricultural production with little water [Bihar family uses SCI for wheat, paddy and other crops.]
May 6, 2013, The Telegraph (Bihar, India)
- In Cambodia, Uphoff touts SRI successes
May 2, 2013, Cornell Chronicle (New York, re: Cambodia)
- Eileen. 2013. Dr. Erika Styger leads SRI training. iF Foundation website. June 12.
- Eileen. 2013. SRI pilot for rice and sugarcane. iF Foundation website. June 12.
- Antrim-Cashin, Tess. 2013. System of Rice Intensification a sustainable option for family farmers. Food Tank blog. June 5.
- Kimseng, Men. 2013. Cambodian Agricultural Research Center Honored. VOA Cambodia website. June 25.
- Cohen, Marc. 2013. Good news from Haiti. Oxfam's Politics of Poverty blog. May 31.
- Le, Minh. 2013. Simple and Effective: System of Rice Intensification in Vietnam. Oxfam America website. May 16.
- Rollins, Julian. 2013. 'Revolutionary' rice-growing method gets much more for less. Positive News website, Asia/Environment section. May 10.
- Shelley, Barry. 2013. Demystifying a rice revolution. Oxfam America website. May 9.
- Uprety, Rajendra. 2013. Hybridizing technology: The Case of rice farming in Nepal. Landscape for People, Food and Nature blog. May 8.
- Gujja, Biksham, and Norman Uphoff. 2013. From animosity towards collaboration. AgriCultures Network Network website. April 25.
- Fisher, Lucy. 2013. More regional issues of AgriCultures Network magazines focus on the System of Rice Intensification (SRI): China and Africa. Global News and Views - SRI blog. May 5.
- Qamar, Sara. 2013. A global economic opportunity in rice. Changmakers website. March 3. [accessed May 7, 2012]
- Charles, Dan. 2013. Unraveling the mystery of a rice revolution. NPR blog, The Salt column, May 3. (Also carried by radio station blogs: KOSU and WFAE) [Article questioning higher yields in Indonesia not accompanied by increased
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - acquired during May and June 2013
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphbetized list of journal articles.)
- • Takahashi, K. 2013. The role of risk and ambiguity in the adoption of the system of rice intensification (SRI): Evidence from Indonesia. Food Security (published online first, May 28,2013, p.1-12). doi:10.1007/s12571-013-0270-z [acquired June 20, 2013]
- Reddy, B. G. M., R. Ravishankar, S. Balaganhvi, and V. R. Joshi. 2013. Nutrient management of rice (Oryza sativa) under system of rice intensification (SRI). The Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 83(6): p? [acquired June 20, 2013]
- Islam, M., et. al. 2013. Productivity and socio-economic impact of system of rice intensification and integrated crop management over conventional methods of rice establishment in eastern Himalayas, India. Paddy and Water Environment (published online first, May 31, 2013, p.1-12). doi:10.1007/s10333-013-0377-z. [acquired June 20, 2013]
- • Watanarojanaporn, N., et. al. 2013. Effect of rice cultivation systems on indigenous arbuscular mycorrhiza fungal community structure. Microbes and Environments. (published online first, May 29, 2013) [acquired June 20, 2013]
- Dass, Anchal,, and C. Subhash. 2013. Panicle characteristics, yield and their correlation in system of rice (Oryza sativa) intensification and conventional transplanting under variable irrigation, spacing and varieties. Indian Journal of Agronomy 58(1): 54-62. [acquired June 20, 2013]
- Takahashi, Kazushi, and Barrett, Christopher B. 2013?. The System of Rice Intensif ication and its impacts on household income and child schooling: Evidence from rural Indonesia. Working Paper, Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management website, Cornell University. (65p. pdf) [acquired May 3, 2013]
New Links from our Website to Online Publications (May and June 2013)
(see also Latest Research directly above for new material on our
- Cooper, Peter J.M., et al. 2013. "Sustainable Intensification of Rice Production in Vietnam," pp. 71-74 in Large-scale implementation of adaptation and mitigation actions in agriculture, Working Paper no. 50 [Working paper series by the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change,Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS)]
- Watershed Organisation Trust (WOTR). 2013. A step towards climate resilient agriculture. Watershed Organisation Trust website. [acquired June 2013]
- IED Afrique. 2013. Le système de riziculture intensive. Agridape 29(1). April. [The entire April issue of this French language AgriCultures Network magazine is devoted to SRI. Articles are from Benin, Burkina Faso, Rwanda, Madagascar and other parts of the world] [acquired May 12, 2012]
- Reddy, D. Narasimha and M. Venkatanarayana. 2013. SRI cultivation in Andhra Pradesh: Achievements, problems and implications for GHGs and work. In [Work in Progress] Paper 13: Project on measuring materiality in informal production-distribution systems, Oxford University. [acquired May 28, 2012]
- Video: 2013 (June 13). SRI 2013: Dr Yang Saing Koma - "Experiences with SRI in Cambodia 2000-2013. 1:05:51 min. Noorazimah Taharim channel, YouTube. [Keynote speech at the 2nd National SRI Conference in Malaysia, June 2013.]
- Video: 2013 (May 22). SRI Nepal. (Long version - 12:29 min; Short version - 4:54 min). Produced by Flooded Cellar Productions in partnership with SRI-Rice. Flooded Cellar channel, YouTube. [Video about SRI experiences by farmers and researchers in the Kailali district of Farwestern Nepal.]
- Video: 2013 (May 22). Iniciativa del SICA en Costa Rica. 16 min. Produced by Jorge Acosta. SICA América Latina Facebook page. [Un miniclip en la regíon indígena Bribri en Talamanca Costa Rica.]
- Video: 2013 (June 7). Single seedling: Increasing rice yields and decreasing water use through SRI. 5:01 min. UPNRM channel, YouTube. [UPNRM project implemented by the Sri Kshetriya Dharmsthala Rural Development Trust (SKDRDP) in 8 districts of Karnataka, India]