January 2014 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Uploads to our site and links to online material)
• SRI-Rice statistics for January 2014: 4,401 unique visitors from 105 countries made 12,753 visits in the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 2,237. Twitter followers: 660
•For additional news see: our News page, Latest Additions, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See Latest activities of the SRI-Rice Center staff and advisors
News from 2013 months
- Paddy farmers in Erode expect bumper harvest [70% of farmers in Erode District, Tamil Nadu, are using SRI methods.]
January 30, 2014, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Jaya honours brave cops, farmer for rice feat [Erode Farmer honored for highest SRI yield in Tamil Nadu.]
January 27, 2014, New Indian Express (Tamil Nadu, India)
- A rice revolution? [The general article on SRI was originally carried on the Food Tank website.]
January 22, 2014, Christian Science Monitor (USA)
- Productive use of land [This article on SRI by D. Nierenberg originally appeared in Food Tank.]
January 21, 2014, Imperial Valley News (California, USA)
- Paddy farmers can now opt for SRI and get Rs 10,000 per hectare [Govt. program in Goa to give incentive for planting with SRI]
January 20, 2014, Navhind Times (Goa, India)
- Perluasan sawah baru dianggarkan Rp202 miliar [Govt. promotes SRI for 3,700 has expansion of rice fields in Sulawesi Selatan province]
January 11, 2013, Fajar Makassar (Sulawesi Selatan, Indonesia)
- Odisha: Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative boon for farmers
- Rice and shine [Article on SRI/SCI in Bihar noting progress on SRI, SWI and SPI]
January 6, 2013, This week (Re: Bihar, India)
- Bouncing back (notes SRI progress in Cambodia's Chongkal District by FAO's MALIS program)
January 3, 2013, Kathmandu Post (Nepal, however SRI info re: Cambodia)
- Farmers warm to hybrid cultivation (hybrid rice promoted in conjunction with SRI)
January 3, 2013, The Telegraph (Re: Assam, India)
- Hufstader, Chris. 2014. Avoiding pests in Vietnam. Oxfam America website, Stories section, January 31.
- Hufstader, Chris. 2014. Growing more but working less. Oxfam America website, Stories section, January 22.
- Nierenberg, Danielle. 2014. Five ways System of Rice Intensification (SRI) practices and ideas can help "feed the world." Food Tank website. January 21.
- Read, P. K. 2014. An agricultural revolution in the making? - The System for Rice Intensification (SRI) gains support. Food Tank website. January 20.
- Bodhi, Bhikkhu. 2014. Improving vegetable cultivation in Ethiopia. Buddhist Global Relief blog. January 14.
- Bodhi, Bhikkhu. 2014. Intensified rice cultivation in Haiti. Buddhist Global Relief blog. January 12.
- Odisha Diary bureau. 2014. Odisha: Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative boon for farmers. Odisha Diary website. January 11.
- Howarth, Lorna. 2014. Farming freedom. Resurgence & Ecologist 282: 6, January/February issue.
- 2014. Lotus Foods' More Crop Per Drop Program celebrates 5 years. SpecialtyFood.com website. January 16.
- Meszaros, Eva. 2014. 2014 leadership awards. SpecialtyFood.com [Lotus Foods wins Specialty Food Association's annual leadership award in the "vision" category for 2014.]
- Narith, Por. 2014. The beneficial use of SRI techniques. Cambodian Rural Development Team (CRDT) blog. January 4. [Farmer doubles yield with SRI in Stung Treng, Cambodia, project by CRDT, WWF, and the Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF)]
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - acquired during January 2014
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphbetized list of journal articles.)
- Gopalakrishnan, Subramaniam, et al. 2014. Evaluation of Streptomyces strains isolated from herbal vermicompost for their plant growth-promotion traits in rice. Microbiological Research 169(1): 40-48. doi: [acquired January 6, 2014]
- • Ali, M. S., M. A. Hasan, S. Sikder, M. R. Islam, and M. H. R. Hafiz. 2013. Effect of seedling age and water management on the performance of boro rice (Oryza sativa L.) variety BRRI Dhan28. The Agriculturalists 11(2): 28-37. doi:10.3329/agric.v11i2.17484
- • Uphoff, Norman, Amir Kassam, and Amod Thakur. 2013. Challenges of increasing water saving and water productivity in the rice sector: Introduction to the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) and this issue. Taiwan Water Conservancy Journal 61(4): 1-13. [acquired January 3, 2014]
- • Jagannath, Pratyaya, Hemant Pullabhotla, and Norman Uphoff. 2013. Meta-analysis evaluating water use, water saving and water productivity in irrigated production of rice with SRI vs. standard management methods. Taiwan Water Conservancy Journal 61(4): 14-49. [acquired January 3, 2014]
- • Jiaguo, Zheng, Chi Zhongzhi, Li Xuyi, and Jiang Xinlu. 2013. Agricultural water savings possible through SRI for water management in Sichuan, China. Taiwan Water Conservancy Journal 61(4): 50-62. [acquired January 3, 2014]
- • Ndiiri, J. A., B. M. Mati, P. G. Home, B. Odongo. 2013. Water productivity under the System of Rice Intensification from experimental plots and farmer surveys in Mwea, Kenya. Taiwan Water Conservancy Journal 61(4): 63-75. [acquired January 3, 2014]
- • Ramzi, Ali Muhammad, and Humayun Kabir. 2013. Rice production under water management constraints with SRI methods in northeastern Afghanistan. Taiwan Water Conservancy Journal 61(4): 76-85. [acquired January 3, 2014]
- • Hameed, Khidhir A., F. A. Jaber, and A. J. Mosa. 2013. Irrigation water use efficiency for rice production in southern Iraq under System of Rice Intensification management. Taiwan Water Conservancy Journal 61(4): 86-93. [acquired January 3, 2014]
- • Shihua, Lu, Dong Yujiao, Yuan Jiang, H. Lee, Hilario Padilla. 2013. A high-yielding, water-saving innovation combining SRI with plastic cover on no-till raised beds in Sichuan, China. Taiwan Water Conservancy Journal 61(4): 94-109. [acquired January 3, 2014]
- • Gathorne-Hardy, Alfred, D. Narasimha Reddy, and Barbara Harriss-White. A Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of greenhouse gas emissions from SRI and flooded rice production in SE India. Taiwan Water Conservancy Journal 61(4): 120-125. [acquired January 3, 2014]
- • Rajakishore, S. K., P. Doraisamy, K.S. Subramanian, and M.Maheswari. 2013. Methane emission patterns and their associated soil microflora with SRI and conventional systems of rice cultivation in Tamil Nadu, India. Taiwan Water Conservancy Journal 61(4): 126-134. [acquired January 3, 2014]
- • Setiawan, Budi I., Arief Irmansyah, Chusnul Arif, Tsugihiro Watanabe, Masaru Mizoguchi, and Hisaaki Kato. 2013. Effects of groundwater level on CH4 and N2O emissions under SRI paddy management in Indonesia. Taiwan Water Conservancy Journal 61(4): 135-146. [acquired January 3, 2014]
New Links from our Website to Online Publications (January 2014)
(see also Latest Research directly above and Recent Uploads below for new material on our
- [accessed January 27, 2014] Abdelrasoul, Ahmed, Abigail Childs et al. 2013. WARC: Pioneering high - yield rice production in Sierra Leone: Recommendations for an outgrower model. SIPA Columbia University website. May 13. [Report for the West Africa Rice Company by students from Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs]
- SRI-Rice. 2014. SCI - The System of Crop Intensification: Agroecological innovations for improving agricultural production, food security, and resilience to climate change. SRI International Network and Resources Center (SRI-Rice), Cornell University, Ithaca, New York. (72p., 4.07MB pdf)
- For additional documents, check country, research, conference or other crop pages. For docs uploaded during the past 12 months, check also 2013 news archives.
- [accessed January 25, 2014] Video: 2013 (October 14). System of Wheat Intensification (SWI)- IPM Project FAO Afghanistan. 9:36 min. Shafiullah Baryalai channel, YouTube. Dari language. [see also English version.]
- Pandian, B. J. 2013. System of Rice Intensification (SRI) - An Adaptation Strategy to Climate An Adaptation Strategy to Climate Change. Water Technology Centre (ANGRAU) website. 28 slides. pdf of PowerPoint presentation at the Conference on Water Management Strategies under Changing Climate at the Water Technology Centre, Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University (ANGRAU)] [accessed 1/2/14].
- Douentza photo album updated (January 2014)
- See the SRS Picasa Collection for our latest photo albums. They can be sorted by upload date from a button at the upper right hand corner.