September 2013 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Uploads to our site and links to online material)
• SRI-Rice statistics for September 2013: 6,139 unique visitors from 96 countries made 13,543 visits in the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 6,676. Twitter followers: 590
• For additional news see: our New Resources page, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See September activities of the SRI-Rice Center staff and advisors
News from other 2013 months
- Jharsuguda district: Woman reaps success
September 30, 2013, Times of India (Odisha, India)
- DAO Wokha conducts one-day training on IPM [SRI training in Wokha District, Nagaland]
September 15, Morung Express (Nagaland, India)
- Family farmers can feed the world - Why are we looking elsewhere?
Septmeber 10, 2013, Thanh Nein (Vietnam)
- Single rice seedling research boosts yields [National University of Laos faculty, the Institute of Rural Landscape researchers from Japan and Lao agricultural officials met to discuss the SRI achievements of SRI.]
September 10, 2013, Vientiane Times (Laos)
- Goa hikes area of SRI rice cultivation this year [Dept. of Agriculture targets 1,000 ha. for SRI in Goa]
September 9, 2013, Times of India (Goa, India)
- One day farmers training on IPM held at Tobu
September 7, 2013, Nagaland Post (Nagaland, India)
- Rice intensification method getting popular [In TN's Krishnagiri district 688 of 762 villages have adopted SRI. Average yield of 9.2 t/ha are 50% higher than conventional.]
September 5, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Awareness rally [Industries Minister leads SRI rally: SRI targe for Namakkal District in Tamil Nadu is 10,200 acres.]
September 2, 2013, The Hindu (Tamil Nadu, India)
- Frederick, Carrie. 2013. White Gold - A look at organic rice farming in Vietnam. Carriefrederick's Blog. September 23.
- Tutwiler, M. Ann. 2013. From the fields of Bihar, India. DG Dialogues blog, Bioversity International website. September 11. [SRI is part of Bioversity/IARI's farmers' field network in the Indo-Gangetic Plains region of India.]
- Van Vark, Caspar. 2013. Do crop intensification techniques hold the key to food security? The Guardian Global Development Professionals Network blog. [Indian farmers have seen increased yields in rice and wheat cultivation. Could SCI curb hunger in low-resource communities?]
- Gujarat Regional Office (NABARD). 2013. System of Rice Intensification - NABARD initiative in tribal districts of Gujarat. National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Bank (NABARD) website, Initatives section. (viewed August 24). NABARD, Gujarat Regional Office has extended grant support of ` 47.472 Lakh to Aga Khan Rural Support Programme - India (AKRSP(I), for propogating and promoting SRI approach in three tribal dominated districts of South Gujarat.]
- 2013. Family farming: The key to alleviating hunger and poverty. Wisconsin State Farmer website. September 5. [Notes Food Tanks' recommended ways to invest in family farming, which includes SRI.]
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - acquired during September 2013
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphbetized list of journal articles.)
- Chen, Song, Xi Zheng, Dangying Wang, Chunmei Xu and Xiufu Zhang. 2013. Influence of the improved System of Rice Intensification (SRI) on rice yield, yield components and tillering characteristics under different rice establishment methods. Plant Production Science 16(2): 191-198. [acquired September 19, 2013]
- Jha, Girish K. 2013. Energy growth linkage and strategy for meeting the energy demand in Indian agriculture. Agricultural Economics Research Review. 26(conf): 119-127. [acquired September 18, 2013]
- Sushant. 2013. Impact of climate change in eastern Madhya Pradesh, India. Tropical Conservation Science 6(3): 338-364. [acquired September 17, 2013]
- Ishani, Parasar, J. P. Hazarika, and Deka Nivedita. 2013. A comparative economic analysis of SRI and traditional methods of rice cultivation in Assam. Agricultural Economics Research Review 26(conf): 236. [acquired September 17, 2013]
- Kumar, R. M., L. V. S. Rao, V. R. Babu, S. Gopalakrishnan, K. Surekha, C. Padmavathi, and B. C. Viraktamath. 2013.
- Mencher, Joan. 2013. Food Sovereignty: How it turns the growing corporate global food system upside down. Paper #43 presented at the international conference Food Sovereignty: A Critical Dialogue, September 14-15, at Yale University, New Haven, CT. (36 p. pdf) [acquired September 17, 2013]
- System of Rice Intensification: Its present status, future prospects and role in seed production in India. SATSA Mukhaptra Annual Technical Issue 17: 22-43. [acquired September 17, 2013]
- Thakur, Amod K., Rajeeb K. Mohanty, Dhiraj U. Patil, and Ashwani Kumar. 2013. Impact of water management on yield and water productivity with system of rice intensification (SRI) and conventional transplanting system in rice. Paddy and Water Environment (Springer Link September 2013). doi:10.1007/s10333-013-0397-8 [acquired September 17, 2013]
- Singh, Y. V., K. K. Singh, and S. K. Sharma. 2013. Influence of crop nutrition on grain yield, seed quality and water productivity under two rice cultivation systems. Rice Science 20(2): 129–138. doi:10.1016/S1672-6308(13)60113-4 [acquired Sept. 11, 2013]
- Glover, Dominic. 2013. Of yield gaps and yield ceilings: Making plants grow in particular places. 2013. Geoforum (published by Elsevier online first, June 28). doi10.1016/j.geoforum.2013.06.001 [acquired Sept. 9, 2013]
- Singh, Kalyan, S. R. Singh, J. K. Singh, R. S. Rathore, Shishu Pal Singh, Rina Roy. 2013. Effect of age of seedling and spacing on yield, economics, soil health and digestibility of rice (Oryza sativa) genothypes under system of rice intensification. The Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 83(5):p? [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Kumar, R. Mahender, K. Surekha, et al. 2013. Research experiences on System of Rice Intensification and future directions. Journal of Rice Research 2(2): 61-71. (also available from agropedia labs) [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Meena, Mamta, M. V. Patel, et al. 2013. Effects of organic manures and nitrogen fertilizer on growth and yield of paddy grown in system of rice intensification technique under middle Gujarat conditions. Annals of Agri-Bio Research 18(2): 141-145. [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Nirmala, K. and R. Vasantha. 2013. A study on diffusion status of system of rice intensification (SRI) in Andhra Pradesh. The Journal of Research Angrau 41(1): 101-104. [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Raman, Anantanarayanan. 2013. Ecological management of rice agriculture in southern India. International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences 39(1):p? [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Rani, S., and P. Sukumari. 2013. Root growth, nutrient uptake and yield of medicinal rice Njavara under different establishment techniques and nutrient sources. American Journal of Plant Sciences 4:1568-1573. doi:10.4236/ajps.2013.48189 [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Rao, A. U., T. V. P. R Prasad, R. S. N. Rao, D. Vijay, T. V. Sridhar. 2013. Evaluation of system of rice intensification (SRI) on alluvial soils of Andhra Pradesh. Journal of Soils and Crops 23(1): 36-40. [acquired Sept. 3, 2013]
- Katambara, Zacharia, F. C. Kahimba, et al. 2013. Adopting the system of rice intensification (SRI) in Tanzania: A review. Agricultural Sciences 4(8): 369-375. doi:10.4236/as.2013.48053 [acquired Sept. 2, 2013]
- For complete research listings, see research section; or go to journals and theses sections.
New Links from our Website to Online Publications (September 2013)
(see also Latest Research directly above and Recent Uploads below for new material on our
- Behera, Debaraj, Arvind K. Chaudhary, Vinay K. Vutukuru, Abhishek Gupta, Sitaramachandra Machiraju, and Parmesh Shah. 2013. Enhancing agricultural livelihoods through community institutions in Bihar, India. South Asia rural livelihoods. Series 3, note no. 1. Washington D.C. : The Worldbank. [acquired September 17, 2013]
- J-SRI. 2013. Rural development and SRI in Lao PDR. System of Rice Intensification website. September 9. (2p. 78KB pdf) [Agenda for a seminar in Vientiane organized by the Japanese Engineering Association of Survey Design for Rural Development (SDRED) and National University of Laos] [uploaded Sept. 22, 2013]
- Devi, Rajkumari Sunita. 2013. SRI cultivation in Manipur. System of Rice Intensification website. (7p., 928KB pdf) [uploaded September 4, 2013]
- Video: 2013 (September 24). Interview with Roberto Verzola, SRI-Pilipinas Network (Philippines). 1:50 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2013 (September 22). Interview with Joey Tolentino, "weekend SRI farmer" in Laur, Nueva Ecija, Philippines. 5:00 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2013 (September 13). SRI paddy transplantation. 9:27 min. Produced by Digital Green. digitalgreenorg channel, YouTube.
- [Uploaded 9/9/13] 4 PowerPoints presented at the Symposium on Sustained Adoption of SRI: A Sri Lankan Perspective, held August 23, 2013, at Govijana Mandiraya, Ministry of Agriculture Baththaramulla, Sri Lanka.
1) Highlights of research launch on SRI. 6 slides. [An overview of the research and presented the findings of the biological SRI-related research.]
2) Ginigaddara, Sanjeewani. Sustainable Adoption of SRI. 22 slides. [An overview of the research and presented the findings of the biological SRI-related research.]
3) Fernando, Sanjeewa. Economic Viability of SRI. 21 slides. [An economic analysis of the research.]
4) Anuradha, Nayanajith. 2013. Social Compatibility of SRI. 24 slides.
5) Premarathne. 2013. Farmer-based research. 21 slides.
- [uploaded 9/9/13] Shihua, Lu. 1013. Integration and extension of a plastic- mulching/water-saving technique for rice production with higher yield and better resource use in southwestern China. Presentation of the Soil and Fertilizer Institute, Sichuan Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Chengdu, China. 75 slides
- New folders uploaded: Tanzania (September 10), Manipur (September 2)
- Photos added to Panama (September 17, 2013)