April 2014 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Uploads to our site and links to online material)
• SRI-Rice statistics for April 2014: 3,559 unique visitors from 99 countries made 10,574 visits in the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 1,539. Twitter followers: 749
• For additional news see: our News page, Latest Additions, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• See Latest activities of the SRI-Rice Center staff and advisors
News from other months
- Sprouting a quiet revolution in rice growing [Malaysian farmer to expand organic Basmati rice production with SRI]
April 28, 2014, fz.com (Malaysia)
- Below normal monsoon in offering: What should farmers do? [Farmers advised to use SRI when India Meteorological Department (IMD) predicts below normal monsoon.]
April 27, 2014, Merinews (India)
- Vietnam, World Bank sign $390 mln in fight against poverty [WB project includes SRI]
April 24, 2014, Thanh Nien News (Vietnam)
- Le pari local de nourrir la famille haïtienne
April 22, 2014, AlterPresse (Haiti)
- System of Rice Intensification provides full rice plate at low price [61,310 farmers from all the five rice growing districts of Nagpur division adopted SRI with yield increase of about 51%.]
April 15, 2014, Times of India (Maharashtra, India)
- A rice harvest for Nallur's farmers [SRI shows great success in Karnataka's Kolar District.]
April 11, 2014, Deccan Herald (Karnataka, India)
- Rain Drop, pour une gestion durable des ressources en eau [Rain Drop Assn. supports SRI/SCI in India]
April 7, 2014, Huff Post Environnement (Re: India)
- Relieving farm fatigue (Dr. Reddy's Foundation helps farmers with innovations, including SRI, across four states)
April 6, 2014, Bangalore Mirror (Re: Maharashtra, India)
- They are beacons of hope (Devti Baiga, who helped six villages in the trail belt adopt SRI, was nominated by Indian Grameen Services, for the CII Exemplar Award in micro-finance.)
April 2, 2014, Hindustan Times (Madhya Pradesh, India)
- 乾式種稻法 環保省水免農藥 [Article points out environmental benefits of SRI through reduced inputs]
April 1, 2014, China News (Taiwan)
- Castillo. Gina. 2014. Distributing seeds, fertilizer and pesticides to poor farmers is OUT. Agroecology is IN. Oxfam America blog. April 28.
- 2014. SRI Intern has passion for improving rice quality and production. iF Foundation website. April16.
- Mansour, Youssef. 2014. New agricultural trends to feed the world. House of Wisdom blog [SRI among approaches to feed the world in the future.].
- Vidal, John. 2014. Philippine experts divided over climate change action. The Guardian's GlobalDevelopment blog. April 8. [Article on breeding at IRRI vs SRI for climate resilience.]
- 2014. Zambo Sur farmers complete rice production training. Balita website. April 4. [90 farmers in Molave, Zamboanga del Sur, Philippines finish season-long FFS on organic SRI]
- Lanipa, Claro A. 2014. 90 farmers finish season-long field school in Molave. Philippines Information Agency website. April 4. [90 farmers from in Molave, Zamboanga del Sur, finished a season-long Farmers' Field School on organic SRI.]
- Cherry, Emily. 2014. Young adults form faith through service in the Philippines. Episcopal News Service website. April 4. [An article on church volunteers says that Episcopal Church in the Philippines is one of the biggest proponents of SRI.]
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - acquired during April 2014
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphbetized list of journal articles.)
- Di Florio, Mario. 2014. The mechanical weeders used in rice cultivation practices in Tripura, India, and their relation with the system of rice intensification (SRI). Master's thesis, Wageningen University, The Netherlands. (65p. 5.08MB pdf)
- Gongotchame, Sylvestre, Ibnou Dieng, Kokou Ahouanton, et al. 2014. Participatory evaluation of mechanical weeders in lowland rice production systems in Benin. Crop Protection 61: 32-37. doi:10.1016/j.cropro.2014.03.009
- Several 2013 Chinese articles were added to our website during April 2014. To see these go to Latest Research in 2014 monthly news
New Links from our Website to Online Publications (April 2014)
(see also Latest Research directly above and Recent Uploads below for new material on our
- Castillo, Gina, et al. 2014. Building a new agricultural future. Oxfam Issue Briefing. Oxfam America website. April 2014.[Oxfam's report on supporting agroecology around the world. SRI box is on page 7.]
- 2013. SRI method of wheat cultivation. Preservation and Proliferation of Rural Resources and Nature (PRAN) website. [Basic instruction on how to implement the System of Wheat Intensification.] [added April 5, 2014]
- SRI-Rice. SRI-Rice Seminars at Cornell University. SRI-Rice website. April 19.
- SRI-Rice. SRI-Rice Projects. SRI-Rice website.April 18.
- Gaoussou Traoré. 2013. Regional workshop for finalizing/launching the project "Improving and Scaling Up of the SRI in West Africa". SRI-Rice website. August. [2013 document uploaded April 8, 2014]
- Ayedegue, Lionel Ulrich O. 2014. Rapport de fun d'activité menee dans cadre FoReVa campagne 2013-2014. SRI-Rice website. January. [French language report on SRI project (June to December 2013) to improve rice productivity through the extension of SRI for lowland rice areas in the Commune of Tchaourou]. [uploaded April 3, 2014]
- Video: 2014 (April 9). Gbadomi Komla Abèl from Kovié talks about his SRI experiences. 4:32 min. SRI-Rice Channel, Youtube. (Fr.) [Devon Jenkins interviews a rice farmer in Togo about his experience with SRI farming techniques.]
- Video: 2014 (April 9). Kokou Joseph Adokanou from Zio River Valley in S. Togo talks about his SRI experience. 3:11min. SRI-Rice Channel, Youtube. (Fr.) [Kokou Joseph Adokanou is one of the farmers who attended a Peace Corps regional training in September 2012, and upon returning began testing out SRI.]
- Video: 2014 (April 9). A female farmer in Notsé plateau region in Togo. 3:44 min. SRI-Rice Channel, Youtube. (Fr.) [Interview with a farmer who benefited from recent training to improve the water control, but her experience with SRI was more muted.]
- Video: 2014 (April 9). Kpasséou Skalo from Notsé plateau region in Togo talks about his SRI exp. 2:23 min. SRI-Rice Channel, Youtube. [Interview with one of the 10 SRI-trained farmers near Somé Kopé region, who enthusiastically adopted SRI and during his first year decide to plant 0.25 ha, which he increased to 0.5 ha in his second year. His yields using SRI have gone from 0.2-2.4 t/ha to 4t/ha with SRI.]
- [accessed April 20, 2013]. Video: (December 18). Les atouts et prespectives du système de riziculture intensive. 43:48 min. Peacecorps Togo Channel, YouTube. [Special about SRI on theTogo national television station.]
- 2013. (December 18). Les six étapes du système de riziculture intensive. 2:38 min. Peacecorps Togo Channel, YouTube.
- 2013. (December 18). Système de riziculture intensive - Interview des paysans . 2:44 min. Peacecorps Togo Channel, YouTube.
- 2013. (December 18). Gros plan sur le Système de riziculture intensive. 20:12 min. Peacecorps Togo Channel, YouTube.
- 2013. (December 18). Formation des paysans au système de riziculture intensive. 2:14 min. Peacecorps Togo Channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2014 (April 11). System of Rice Intensification (SRI) - Farm in Zarraga, Iloilo. 10:18 min. Joby Arandela Channel, YouTube. [Video of a seminar about the Zarraga SRI Demo Farm (Iloilo) at made at the Central Philippine University (CPU) College of Agriculture, Resources and Environmental Science (CARES)]
A series of videos made by Peace Corps volunteers in Togo.
- 2014. Experiencias del SRI en RD. 32 slides. PowerPoint presentation by Manuel Sanchez (IICA) and Juan Arthur, Dominican Republic (Spanish). [uploaded April 27, 2014]
- 2014. Le SRI à Kovié La Vallée du Zio, Région Maritime. Presentation by Kokou Joseph Adokanou and Verónica Marzariegos, Kovié, Togo. November 2013. [uploaded April 27, 2014]
- 2014. Agricultural Water Savings by SRI for Future Water Management in Sichuan, China. 59 slides. Presentation by Zheng Jiaguo, Sichuan Academy of Agricultural Sciences, at the SRI-Rice seminar series, Cornell University, April 15. [uploaded April 17, 2014]
- Togo Album updated.