October 2014 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-Rice Statistics for October 2014: SRI-Rice statistics for October 2014: 3,678 unique visitors (3,754 last month) from 92 countries (97 last month) viewed 10,157 pages (10,342 last month) on the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 1,084 (2,236 last month) with 1,367 all-time likes. Twitter followers: 935 (26 new this month). Total YouTube views: 40,089 (1,111 new this month). We have 388 presentations (all time) uploaded and 140 subscribers on our Slideshare site. There are 648 papers (17 new this month) in our Refworks research database. (These also appear in the Mendeley SRI Research Network site.
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• For news about our program see: SRI-Rice Center news
News from other months
- Countries must spur more
investment in small-scale
agriculture, say experts [SRI should be a top priority for research and development.]
October 28, 2014, Jakarta Post (Indonesia)
- New farming technology doubles paddy output [SRI is being implemented by women entrepreneurs in Mukundapur village in southern Nepal.]
October 13, 2014 e-Kantipur (Nawalparasi, Nepal)
- Agro officer using WhatsApp to connect with farmers [WhatsApp, which contains SRI info, is promoted in Gurdaspur.]
October 8, 2014, Hindustan Times (Punjab, India)
- Still parched [Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh have 50% rainfall deficit; water conserving practices like SRI suggested]
October 6, 2014, The Indian Express (India)
- Exploring SRI technique to boost rice production
October 3, 2014, The New Telegraph (Nigeria)
- In rice sector, skills to blame for low yields [Only 9% of Cambodian farmers relate to SRI; skills are needed]
October 3, 2014, The Cambodian Daily (Cambodia)
- Padi hemat air dikembangkan di Lampung Selatan [Government promotes SRI for water conservation in Lampung Regency]
October 2, 2014, BeritaSatu.com (Lampung, Indonesia)
Bogor panen raya padi organik [The farmer group Lemah Duhur harvested their organic rice grown with SRI, which is now being recommended on a national scale.]
October 2, 2014, Tunas Bangsa (Bogor, Indonesia)
- Le, Minh, Erika Styger, et al. 2014. Open letter to the 4th International Rice Congress. Oxfam America website. October 31.
- Tumusiime, Emmanuel. 2014. Small-scale farmers are missing from the changeover. Politics of Poverty blog (Oxfam) October 31.
- Le, Minh. 2014. Will the 4th International Rice Congress include what smallholder farmers need? Politics of Poverty blog (Oxfam) October 23.
- Randall, Rebecca. 2014. Critics say Gates Foundation's agriculture program won’t help poor farmers. Humanospere website. October 13. [SRI cited as a good example of agroecological agriculture.]
- Loucks, J. 2014. Growing rice in Madagascar. Storehouse website. October. [Pictorial story of Jeannot growing his rice crop.]
- Johnson, Nathanael. 2014. Farm tech isn’t a war between good and evil -- it’s a quest for whatever works. Grist website. October 6.
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during October 2014
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- Bunting, Stuart W., Rajeshwar Mishra, Kevin G. Smith, and Dhanajay Ray. 2014. Evaluating sustainable intensification and diversification options for agriculture-based livelihoods within an aquatic biodiversity conservation context in Buxa, West Bengal, India. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability. doi:10.1080/14735903.2014.966530
- • Hanh, N. H., and P. T. Dung. 2014. Study some technical methods to organic rice production at Hanoi, Vietnam. Journal of Agriculture and Biodiversity Research 3(6): 91-97.
- • Islam, Mokidul, and D. C. Kalita. 2014. Effect of rice (Oryza sativa L.) establishment methods and integrated weed management on productivity and soil fertility in Eastern Himalayas, India. The Journal of Agriculture and Natural Resources Sciences 1(2): 87-103.
- • Islam, M., L. K. Nath, A. Das, and T. Samajdar. 2014. Productivity and economic performance of Sali Rice under System of Rice Intensification and Integrated Crop Management as influenced by weed management practices. Indian Journal of Hill Farming 27(1): 184-192.
- • Malla, Roshani. 2014. Agricultural technologies for marginal farming systems in Asia: Adoption and diffusion of SALT in the Philippines and SRI in India. Master's thesis. Iowa State University. [accessed Oct. 2014]
- • Mohanty, A. K., M. Islam, G. A. K. Kumar, and A. Kumar. 2014. Enhancing ice (Oryza sativa) productivity through demonstrations of SRI method of cultivation in mid-altitude region of Indo-Himalayan belt of Sikkim. Indian Research Journal of Extension Education 14(3): 88-92.
- • Nakano, Yuko, Yuki Tanaka, and Keijiro Otsuka. 2014. Can contract farming increase productivity of small-scale cultivation in rain-fed area in Tanzania? National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (Tokyo) website. 33p.
- Saha, Soumya, Y. V. Singh, Sunita Gaind, and Dinesh Kumar. 2014. Water productivity and nutrient status of rice soil in response to cultivation techniques and nitrogen fertilization. Paddy and Water Environment. Early edition September 2014. doi:10.1007/s10333-014-0462-y
Links from our Website to Online Publications (October 2014)
(see also Latest Research directly above)
- 2014. SRI News from West Africa, July-September. (A new quarterly newsletter form the Project on Improving and Scaling Up the System of Rice Intensification in West Africa, which is sponsored by the World Bank-funded West Africa Agricultural Productivity Program.
- Video: 2014 (October 22). Usage of Drum Seeder and its Benefits _ Chittoor _ SERP-CMSA & Digital Green _A.P. 9:44. min. digitalgreenorg channel, YouTube. (Telugu language).
- Video: 2014 (October 21). System of Rice Intensification in Cambodia. 6:10 min. Oxfam in Cambodia channel, YouTube. [Reissue of 2011 Oxfam America video originally posted by the Cambodian Media Group.]
- Video: 2014 (July 1). Motorized Weeder Invention. 9:44. min. Mag-Agri Tayo channel, YouTube. (Tagalog language). [This video from Bicol, Philippines, shows a three-row weeder developed in the Bicol region of the Philippines.] [Accessed Oct. 31, 2014]
- 2014. System of Rice Intensification Research - A Review: 1993-2003. 22 slides. Presentation by Erika Styger at the 4th International Rice Congress, Bangkok, Thailand, October 31, 2014.
- The System of Rice Intensification in China: Research Dynamic and Innovative Adaptations. 19 slides. Presentation by Zhoucen Feng, at the 4th International Rice Congress, Bangkok, Thailand, October 31.
- Mati, Bancy, R. K. Wanjogu, et al. 2014. System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Africa: A Win-Win Technology with Multiple Benefits for Farmers and Climate Change Adaptation in Africa. Presentation at the Fourth Conference on Climate Change and Development in Africa (CCDA-IV) Marrakesh, Morocco, October 8-10.