March 2015 - Additions to the SRI-Rice Website
(Links to online material)
• SRI-Rice Statistics for March 2015: 5,406 unique visitors (3,956 last month) from 95 countries (90 last month) viewed 11,829 pages (9,980 last month) on the SRI website. Total Facebook views: 7,775 (1,191 last month) with 1,529 all-time likes. Twitter followers: 1,059 (31 new this month). Total YouTube views: 47,325 (1,145 new this month). Slideshare: 8,618 views this month, 427 slideshows/posters uploaded and 161 subscribers. There are 676 items in our Refworks research database. (These also appear in the Mendeley SRI Research Network site.) We now have 169 (6 new) members of the SRI Equipment Exchange as of the end of March!
• For additional global news see: our News page, Latest Additions, Twitter, News and Views blog, LinkedIn, YouTube (global), YouTube (India), Slideshare and Picasa photo gallery, or, see news by country
• For news about our program see: SRI-Rice Center news
• SRI-Rice web pages updated during March: about us, contacts, events, Bhutan, China, Haiti, India news, India research, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mali, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, 2015 news/resources, main page, India news, journal articles, SRI-Rice staff and activities news, videos, projects page.
News from past months
- Memenuhi kebutuhan pangan
March 20, 2015, Koran Jakarta (Jakarta, Indonesia)
- Inovasi swasembada beras
March 20, 2015, Suara Perbaruan (Indonesia)
- Ecofarm launches online drive to raise water funds
March 18, 2015, Philippines Daily Inquirer [SRI help group in La Union deal with water problem.]
- System of Rice Intensification receives food security prize
March 16, 2015, Cornell Chronicle (New York, USA)
[Chronicle story also carried in BC Food Security Gateway, UN Jobs, Cornell CALS Notes,]
- System works, but farmers still skeptical [Villagers of Pemathang in Samdrupjongkar gets much higher yield with SRI, but wonder about labor.]
March 16, 2015, Kuensel Online (Bhutan)
- Sustaining food security [Brief mention of SRI's role in raising productivity in Bayes' article on population and climate change affect on food security.]
March 11, 2015, Financial Express (Bangladesh)
- Gerakan tanam padi [The Governor and Ag Dept Head of West Sumatera planted rice with SRI methods in conjunction with effort to raise rice provincial rice production to 3 million tons by 2017.]
March 6, 2015, Antara News (West Sumatera, Indonesia)
- PT Vale latih petani Luwu Timur cara bertani ramah lingkungan [The NGO Aliksa Organik SRI trained 50 farmers and 22 extension workers in Luwu Timor Regency of South Sulawesi, Indonesia, in organic SRI methods]
March 5, 2015, Tribun-timur.com (South Sulawesi, Indonesia)
- 2015. 10 storie di resistenza contadina: agricoltori contro multinazionali. GreenBiz.it website. [SRI is one of the ten featured stories in the Italian article.]
- SEACON. 2015. Rice Pre and Postharvest workshop 2015: Sri Lovely Organic Rice Farm. Southeast Asian Council for Food Security and Fair Trade website. March 24.
- 2015. Program intensifikasi pertanian (Revolusi Hija). Omtani blog. March 23. (Indonesia)
- 2015. Lessons from Japan: Rebuilding agriculture after disasters. Rappler. March 18.[SRI included as measure to help farmers in Philippines weatherproof.]
- 2015. System of Rice Intensification earns food security prize. Gossipler website. March 17. [Gossip site links to the Olam Prize (due to Jim Carrey's support for SRI)!]
- 2015. Agriculture: Les acteurs se concertent pour booster la productivité de la riziculture en Afrique de l’Ouest. March 17. [ L’Unité Régionale de Coordination du projet régional “Développement et diffusion à grande échelle du Système de Riziculture Intensive en Afrique de l’Ouest” (SRI) a organisé du 16 au 19 février 2015 à Abidjan-Côte d’Ivoire, un atelier régional du PPAAO/WAAPP.]
- 2015. Game-Changing rice production methodology awarded Olam Prize for Innovation in Food Security. Olam website. March 17. [Norman Uphoff, SRI-Rice and the System of Rice Intensification win food security award] -- Other groups/sites citing Olam's press release for the Olam prize: BC Food Security Gateway, World-Grain.com, Eco-business, CSR Wire, Industry Sourcing,]
- Le, Minh. 2015. Food, agriculture and justice: Building a new rice future for people and the planet. Oxfam Politics of Poverty blog. March 16.
- Grover, Sami. 2015. The type of rice you buy matters. Mother Nature Network website. March 10. [Article on Lotus Foods' rices that are grown with SRI methods.]
- 2015. Women farmers in India #MakeItHappen (Part 2). Global Harvest Initiative website. March 8.
- 2015. SRI: An innovative agricultural practice. Solution Innovation Review blog. March 6. [Interview with Norman Uphoff about SRI.]
Latest Research / Journal Articles / Theses - links acquired during March 2015
[Note: • Red dot indicates the publication is freely available.]
(in order of acquisition. See also complete alphabetized list of journal articles.)
- • Ahmed, A. R., B. K. Dutta and D. C. Ray. 2015. Response of some rice varieties to different crop management practices towards morphological and yield parameters. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications 5(2): 6p.
- Chang, Yu-Chuan, Norman T. Uphoff, and Eiji Yamaji. 2015. A conceptual framework for eco-friendly paddy farming in Taiwan, based on experimentation with System of Rice Intensification (SRI) methodology. Paddy and Water Environment (Online First March 2015): 1-15.
- • Kahimba, F. C., E. E. Kombe, and H. F. Mahoo. 2014. The potential of System of Rice Intensification (SRI) to increase rice water productivity: a case of Mkindo irrigation scheme in Morogoro region, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Agricultural Sciences 12(2): 10-19.
- • Mohammed, U., W. Aimrun, M. S. M. Amin, A. Khalina, and U. B. Zubairu. 2015. Influence of soil cover on moisture content and weed suppression under system of rice intensification (SRI). Paddy and Water Environment (SpringerLink early edition March 2015).
- Wu, Wei, Jianliang Huang, Farooq Shah, and Norman Uphoff. 2015. Evaluation of System of Rice Intensification methods applied in the double rice-cropping system in Central China. Advances in Agronomy (online 20 March 2015, in press). doi:10.1016/bs.agron.2015.01.002
- Ginigaddara, G.A.S. 2015. Location specific adoption of System of Rice Intensification - Anuradhapura District, Sri Lanka. SRI-Rice website. (68p., 29.8MB pdf) (see also smaller size document, 23MB)
- 2015. SRI - The System of Rice Intensification. SRI-Rice website. [Leaflet about SRI in Sri Lanka produced by Oxfam Australia]
- Bhatt, K. N. 2015. National Consultation on System of Rice Intensification for Increased Productivity and Ecological Security at G.B. Pant Social Science Institute, Allahabad, April 6 7, 2015. SRI-Rice website. March 26. (3p. pdf) [Explanation of the National Consultation on SRI for Increased Productivity and Ecological Security, held in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India.]
- Guindo, Hamidou. 2015. Vulgarisation du Systeme de Riziculture Intensif (SRI) dans les Communes de Djaptodji et Douentza dan le Cercle de Douentza (Region Mo Pti) - Campagne Agricole 2014-2015. SRI-Rice website. March 2. (8p., 600KB pdf) [French language final report on an SRI project near Douentza, Mali. The project was a grant from SRI Global , Inc., which was granted the NGO 3A-Sahel with funding from the Bridging Peace Foundation.]
New Links from our Website to Online Publications (2015 )
(see also Latest Research directly above and Recent Uploads below for new material on our
- Perluasan dan Pengelolaan Lahan. 2014. Pedoman Teknis Pengembangan System of Rice Intensification TA 2014. Indonesian Ministry of Agriculture website.(101p. pdf) [access March 26, 2015]
- McCabe, Coco. 2015. The best rice is local rice. Oxfam CloseUp 15(1): 12-13 (winter edition). [See article on page 12 about SRI in Haiti.]
- Video: 2015 (March 30). System of Rice Intensification (SRI) short film (English subtitle). 11:03 min. Tổ chức phát triển Hà Lan SNV channel, YouTube. [Direct-seeded Australia Aid-funded SRI project undertaken by SNV Development Organisation Netherlands together with the Vietnamese Dept. of Agricultural and Rural Development .in the Vietnamese provinces of Quang Binh and Binh Dinh between 2011 and 2014]
- Video: 2014 (December 17). Video SRI bassin arachidier SENEGAL/ANCAR. 16.52 min. Abdoulaye SY channel, YouTube.
- Video: 2015 (March 27). SRI. 11:04. Directed by Ajay. T. J. India WaterPortal channel, YouTube. [Documentary and interviews with Chhattisgarh farmers.]
- Video: 2015 (March 17)."Louis Malassis & Olam Prizes" awardees. 3:32 min: [Uphoff section starts at 2:57]. Agropolis Fondation channel, YouTube. [Interview with Louis Malassis and Olam Prize Awardees after winning awards on March 16, 2015, in Montpellier, France.]
- Video: 2015 (March 17). 2015 "Olam Prize for Innovation in Food Security" awardee : Norman Uphoff. 2:23 min. Produced by Farming First TV. Agropolis Fondation channel, YouTube. [Interview with Olam Prize Awardee from SRI-Rice at Cornell University after winning the award on March 16, 2015, in Montpellier, France.]
- Video: 2015 (January 6). SRI Paddy Seedling Transplantation Madhubani. 15:42 min. Produced by Digital Green. digitalgreen channel, YouTube. [How to transplant, by a farmer in Madhubani district, Bihar, India [accessed March 27, 2015]
- Video: 2015 (March 15). SRI - System of Rice Intensification in Iraq. 21:32 min. Produced by Al-Mishkab Rice Research Station in Najaf, Iraq. 21:32 min. SRI-Rice channel, YouTube. [SRI success and constraints in Iraq based on 2008 experiences promoting SRI in Al-Muthanna Province, Iraq. Farmer interviews are included.]